Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Segmentation fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcvdmvs

Technical User
Sep 18, 2000
NL
I am running RH7.0. After installing programs like Netscape 6 and Nmap-fe I get segmentation faults.
Someone told me that this could be memory, but after installing new memory the fault is still there.
So, does anyone know how to solve the problem. They acoure directly when i start a program.
MiQ
mick@vandermostvanspijk.nl
currently installed: html, JavaScript, dhtml, css, php, mysql, postgresql, xml, linux, apache
about to install: java, c++

A segmentation fault is typically the result of a program accessing memory that it doesn't own. As to why it's happening when you run those applications, I have no idea.

Try reinstalling, maybe a data file is out of place, who knows? Also, pay close attention to the installation instructions, if you're upgrading the version of Netscape that comes with the Redhat 7.0 distibution there may be special steps you need to take.

Russ
bobbitts@hotmail.com

Reinstalling won't help. The installation instructions i red and i'm not upgading im installing a new netscape besides the already installed NS 4.76 from the RH 7.0 distribution.
I will try if it has anything to do with my HDD. But im not sure cause i installed it several times already.
The funny thing is that nmap-fe sometimes runs. So there could be a problem with memory allocation.

MiQ
mick@vandermostvanspijk.nl
currently installed: html, JavaScript, dhtml, css, php, mysql, postgresql, xml, linux, apache
about to install: java, c++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back