Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

segmentation fault when running rc.sysinit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharper

MIS
Sep 4, 2001
IE
Hello,

I'm running RedHat 7.3 on a Siemens Scenic 300 PIII.
After fresh install with minimal packages I got my website running on Apache. Everything was running fine until three days after installation. I now get and error while booting
" /etc/rc.sysinit line 602: 184 segmentation fault" and similar errors with different lines in the same file. during the boot process the text becomes illedgible and [FAILED] appears to the right of numerous lines.

now line 602 in rc.sysinit goes something like

rm -f /fastboot [and other dirs]

am I right in saying that what vi tells me is line 602 is the same line that the error at?

anyhow the system boots to a login prompt and I can login as root. If i run the command "rm -f /fastboot" I get the error segmentation fault. If I run rm on its own I get the same error. If I run mkdir I get the segmentation error. I can traverse the directories fine and rmdir looks like it will work (although i cannot test it on a test directory it doesn't return the error). cp and mv also work.

This is driving me up the wall.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Sharper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back