Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking mini-DBMS perl script

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormbind

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am building a product that stores & cross-references data, and using SQL obviously makes sense.

However, I want this product to work on as many hosted sites as possible. Entry-level hosting packages often lack a full SQL DBMS and any optional Perl modules :(

Thus I seek a fool-proof 100% Perl solution, that does not relly on optional modules being available.

Please give your experiences and ideal solutions. I do not want to reinvent the wheel ;)

Thanks!

--Glen :)

Memoria mihi benigna erit qui eam perscribam

text/flat-files or SDBM/AnyDBM_FILE, which comes with perl.

Umm... So let's get this straight. You want a DBMS, but you don't want to: A) Install a DBMS, B) Install perl modules, yet, despite A and B, you don't want to reinvent the wheel?

I guess you'll have to turn to the force for that one... ;)

Seriously, though. Go to cpan and look for SQLite. Works really well and since it's a regular perl module, you could install it in your home directory or if you don't have access to the perl base dir.

--
Andy
"Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never precluded their reinvention." -- Larry Wall

naChoZ said:
Umm... So let's get this straight. You want a DBMS, but you don't want to: A) Install a DBMS, B) Install perl modules, yet, despite A and B, you don't want to reinvent the wheel?

where does it say that in his/her post?

Where does it say which part? Since my response pertains to almost every line of the original post, I'm not sure which part you're confused about...

--
Andy
"Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never precluded their reinvention." -- Larry Wall

I would think that it *can* be done, though I wouldn't suggest it's a good idea. It would be hard work staying within the limits of DBM files and I'm sure there'd have to be some jiggery-pokery involved when installing the application to look at what's available.

If I absolutely *had* to do this I'd use AnyDBM - but I'd make sure that the customer (whoever that is, your boss maybe) understood clearly just how much time it would add to the project.

Mike

You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the
original Klingon.

Want great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Another thought......
I have, on occassion, developed very simple database applications using comma delimited files with the DBI and DBD::CSV modules. As long as the load is light and the data set is simple (2 dimensional), this can be effective. You use simple SQL statements and do a little file locking/unlocking to make sure hits don't walk on each other. It gives the added benefit of being very easy to convert to use MySQL or PostgreSQL of another RDBMS if/when the load justifies/mandates such a move.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back