Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking a Teleconferencing Solution to Meet a Family Need 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flasher40

Technical User
Apr 13, 2007
US
Hi,

(Wasn't sure where this topic fits; hope this is the appropriate forum.)

My 100-year-old mother and stepfather live too far away for me to make frequent trips to see them. And when I do visit, my mother can’t handle more than an hour-long visit per day. So, I’m looking for a virtual solution.

They have their own apartment at an assisted-living facility. What I’m envisioning—and I don’t know if such a thing even exists—is a system that would allow them and me/my family to see and hear each other on our TV sets. They and I both have digital, flat-screen TVs with PC input connections.

Any system that I buy would have to be extremely user-friendly on their end, not involving a standard computer because they have never owned nor used a computer and have made it very clear that they do not want to learn how to use one.

So, any practical solution would have to involve a “black box” at their end that is hooked up to the TV so that they pretty much just turn the unit on and can see and hear me/us at the other end. They have cable hookup, if that would work, or I suppose a satellite connection would be fine if that’s less complicated. Of course, I realize that a motion camera would have to be part of the system at both ends.

At our end, the system doesn’t need to be as user-friendly because my wife and I are both tech-savvy and have the computers to do any job required.

Of course, affordability is an issue too. If such a system exists, would it cost more than, say, $1,000 for the equipment?

Thanks for any insights or suggestions you have.

Bill

Since no one has suggested anything I will explain what I did for my mom who was not tech savy either.

I installed a PC at her house with a webcam. All she had to do was sit down. At a PC at my house I would remote into hers and turn on the webcam for us to see and launch Yahoo(there are alot of webcam services you can shoose from though). She had a monitor that she could see after i ended the remote session. You could just have the PC output be the TV, and all they would have to do is change the input with the TV remote to the Computer.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Thanks, John.

I posted my query on four forums, and your response is the only one so far. I suppose the lack of responses means that what I envisioned doesn't exist yet. Maybe some day, but I don't have a lot of time!

Your suggestion is the fall-back plan that's been in the back of my mind. What I need to do is find the most user-friendly computer, that 100-year-old seniors would be comfortable with. Something that is as close to "flip a switch and away you go" as possible. It would no doubt be dedicated to this one use.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bill

You might want to take a look at the Samsug T260HD monitor/HD tv monitor combo. It has your standard pc connections, along with a cable tv connection. This might also work with a webcam, but it's a bit pricey (MSR is around $550). BTW it's a 25.5" monitor/tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back