Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

seeing users for a shared db

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktighe

Programmer
May 25, 2001
US
I'm trying to write a report in an access database, but someone has it locked! Is there any way to determine any info about who has it locked so I can go and talk to them? I know the info is out there somewhere, because every now and then I see a pop-up that says "The database has been locked by user ktighe on sw2341." I can't remember what causes the popup, but I figure that info should be available (unless you need to be an admin to see it, in which case i'm screwed).
Thanks,
Kevin

1. Make sure your shared databases are on a directory where evryone has all rights.
2. Go to Tools/Options/Avanced and make sure that the database it not set to open exclusive.
3. Download Jeyutils.exe from Microsoft. It has some utilities that let you view the *.LDB file (Which controls access & locking)

Pick up a copy of 'whoson97.zip'. This holds a demo db which shows you how to code for user logins.

Can you open/read the LDB with notepad to see who is logged?

Access 2000 prevents development while others are on the system. I make a copy of the database for development work and then move any new stuff into the production version when finished.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back