Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

seeing other Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

hboyd

MIS
Jun 22, 2004
US
I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but whenever I look at my network places->entire network->Microsoft Windows Network I see other domains in addition to mine. I can not access them but they are visible. Why is happening and what can I do to limit what is displayed to only our domain(s).

Thank you.

What kind of setup do you have? Are you using a wireless network? We need more info. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're a kid at heart, check out Tek-Tips Disney
[mickey]

Hmmm... are they domains or uother workgroups? Many times when people from the outside hook up with a laptop, you will see the workgroup of that computer...

At the same time, if it's really other domains that you're seeing, and they aren't yours, then there's a big concern.

Glen is right in asking about wireless... Are the names at least familiar to you? Are these names the defaults of either worgroup or mshome?

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

How can I tell if they are workgroups or domains? I suspect that they are wireless users who are using their laptops at home on their own workgroups. I know that I don't have anyone using our wireless network that shouldn't, our signal doesn't get out of the building... or at least not far enough to get to the next building. I just checked my list (early in the morning before everyone gets here) and it shows our domain and 2 other company related (remote) workgroups. I'll keep taps on it throughout the day to see what shows up and when.

Thanks!

It's surprising sometimes how far the wireless can travel... Are you using any security on your wireless lan at all?

Can anyone walk into your building with a laptop and connect to the internet with a wireless laptop without a password?

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

I do run 128bit WEP so the building is somewhat secure. Also, we've run tests and there are many places IN the building were you can not get a signal. We also tried to run laptops outside without any success so the metal-clad building is keeping most of the signal within the walls.

Thanks.

By the way, there are 7 additional workgroups/domains showing up now than there were this morning before everyone got to work. I'm fairly confident that you guys have described the situation correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back