Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeding/fork lifting - How-to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voierr

MIS
Oct 17, 2008
GB
Hi,

I'm in dire need of how-to on seeding/fork lifting please. I may end up having to seed up to 80 servers on remote sites(depending on link speed). All servers are file-and-print with same setup.

I'll be using a laptop(Media Agent) with USB(maglib) attached but could be using 3 laptops(MA's) simultaneously.
I thinking my SP will need to look like this?

USB - primary
SAN1 - synchronous (to become primary)
SAN2 - synchronous (off site/replicated)
Tape - weekly
Tape - monthly

So firstly, would that work?
Secondly, how do I get the data from the USB to SAN1(just schedule it and let it do its thing) and then delete the USB then start again?
Or do I migrate the data from the USB to the SAN1?

Hope this makes sense...

Thanks

Just create a new temp policy and assign the clients to it. You will need to install the media agent on each system to do the intial backup.

Send the usb drives out do your intial full then move the drives to the main media agents and conenct them to the core server.

Change the client to the policy that you normally use and do a synthetic full and your done.

theravager,

thanks, that was almost as easy as you made it sound.

much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back