Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securty System.mdw file inaccessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

smart12know

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
I was working toward securing my database and created a new workgroup. This workgroup was stored on my c: drive when I ran the Security Wizard which disabled the system.mdw file and recognized the new *.mdw file. I needed this new file on a network drive so that it would be accessible to all users, so I made a copy and deleted the file on my c: drive. Since then I have not been able to get back into Access. All my userids are not being recognized. I got a message that there was an error and did I want to fix it. Of course I said 'yes' which then it proceeded to reload MS office but couldn't because the system.mdw file could not be found. The system.mdw file is still on my c: drive.. I'm not sure what to do. I cannot get in to Access at all, I even tried to create a new database but cannot because none of the userids are being recognized... Do I need our Network people to re-install MS Access on my workstation? Thx for ANY suggestions!!!

Try this.

Locate the Workgroup Admin program. It's called Wrkgadm.exe and you should find it in C:\Winnt\system32.

Make sure that you still have the default system.mdw file, it too should be found in C:\Winnt\system32.

Run Wrkgadm and click the "Join" button. In the next dialog, browse to the location of the default system.mdw file and select it.

That should then allow you to start up Access.

When it comes to using the custom mdw file you created (which need not, and should not be called "system.mdw") it is better to start the secured dataabse by using a custom shortcut instead of going though the hastle of joining a workgroup with Wrkgadm.

The command line of your shortcuct would be of this general form (all the following is one single line, and all the quote marks show are required)...

"X:\FullPathToMSAcces\MSACCESS.EXE" "Y:\FullPathTo_MDE_or_MDB_File\YouSecuredApplication.mde" /wrkgrp "Z:\FullPathToMDWFile\YourStstemFile.MDW" /user UserName

Here's a real example...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "H:\My documents\Contacts.mdb" /wrkgrp "P:\RF_SYSTEM.MDW" /user Developer

This launches the secured database "Contacts.mdb" using the workgroup file P:\RF_SYSTEM.MDW and populated the user name field of the login dialog with the user name "Developer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back