Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivyleaf

Programmer
Nov 1, 2000
US
We have a Novell Network and we have 28 users that need access to our database. I have set up security for all of the 28 people by various groups. The problem is accessing the system.mdw file. It appears that I will have to visit each one, to connect them to the proper system.mdw file which is stored on the same shared directory as the database, where they all have access to such.

I have tried this on 3 of 28 people, and have noticed that their other databases (which are in no way connected with the database that requires security)are now asking for the same login.

How do I stop this? Any helpful hints?

Sharon

Hi Sharon...sorry I answered this but had placed it in the wrong thread...,
This is an example and you'll have to adjust it carefully for your needs. Leave all of your users on their regular "System.Mdw".

Make one shortcut and paste it on each of their desktops and its Target line should read something like this:

"\\ThisComputer\C\Program Files\Microsoft Office 97\Office\MSAccess.exe" /excl /wrkgrp " Z:\Somefolder\Sharon.mdw" "Z:\SomeFolder\SharonDB.mdb"

No kidding, you have to be really careful with spaces etc. but the point here is the path forces the user through the specified workgroup only when using the shortcut. Remove the "excl" part if you open for shard use. Good luck. It might take a couple of trys but it will work! Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back