Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofit

Technical User
Nov 20, 2005
US
I am nearly complete with a small db. I want to give a copy to a friend to bullet test but I don't want a loose copy floating around. Is there a simple way to disable the app after a given date - maybe 3 months from now?

Thank you

How are ya hoofit . . .

I've never had to do this but it seems quite easy to me. Its all based on an invisible form that opens thru an [blue]autoexec[/blue] macro and therefore the first form that opens (to no ones knowledge). When it opens the following secnario occurs:
[ol][li]If a [blue]custom db property[/blue] hasn't been set, this property is set to 3 months after the 1st open date.[/li]
[li]In the form ... a timer runs ... constantly checking the date. When it overruns the application is not alowed to open!

Note: the good thing about custom db properties is that they stay with the db or Front End ... so even if you distribute, it ends for everyone according to the date set in the [blue]custom DB properties[/blue]. If you want to continue with this ... a hi five will do.[/li][/ol]

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see faq219-2884 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Put a date in your database ( 3 month time)on startup chek if date is greater than tat date and if it is exit data base. You will also need to disable shift key but that easy.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back