Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Zones Group Policy not being applied to client

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassidyHunt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
US
I have a policy setup on an OU with a test user trying to add zones to local intranet and trusted sites. They show up in the settings page after I modify them but they never apply to the user when they log in.

I ran gpresult and it says the policy was applied. It is the only policy on the user.

I tried to find that Security_HKLM_something that was on the Microsoft site and it didn't exist on the client computer. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cassidy

How did you configure the policy?
Is the user object in the same OU as the GPO is applied to?
Which objects in the GPO security have "APPLY" checked?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I have a single OU called Test. In that OU I have a test user and the Policy. In that policy I went to user configuration/windows settings/internet explorer maintenance/Security/Security Zones and Content Rating

and added them there.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Cassidy

Yes that does make sense but it doesn't answer my last question.

One follow up question. Did you run GPUPDATE /FORCE on the client machine or reboot it?

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Yes. I also ran gpresult and made sure that policy was in the list of policies applied. None of the internet explorer security zones show up on the client.

You seem to be avoiding this question...

Regards,

Mark

I guess I am not understanding the question. I thought everything under the OU that a policy is on the policy is applied to. I don't see the check for choosing individually which to apply.

Let me know.

Cassidy

When editing the GPO, in the left hand side of the MMC, right click the top most part of the tree. Choose properties. Click the Security tab. There you will see a security dialog similar to an NTFS permissions box. Near the end of the list (you must scroll down) is APPLY.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back