Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavla

Programmer
Jul 10, 2000
GB
I have an Access 2000 database. I have created a new Workgroup file and attached it to my current database by using the "/wrkgrp" startup command-line option specified for a shortcut which opens the database.

However, the default SYSTEM.MDW workgroup file still exists in the folder where the MSAccess.exe has been installed. If I use the Workgroup Administrator to "join" this default file and then open my database directly (by double-clicking on it), rather than via its shortcut, it uses the default workgroup file, rather than the one designed specifically for the database.

What can I do? How can I permanently attach a specific workgroup file to a database for which it was designed?

Thank you, Pavla.

The workgroup file is important when you are dealing with security issues. It helps in that you can create tables, queries, forms and such and assign permissions to them. For example, in ACC97, I have a database with Tables having Read only while others have update, add, but no delete. Forms, Report, Macros, and Modules can be run, but design cannot be viewed (Tables and queries don't seem to have this ability).

The only way that I've been able to accomplish opening a specific database with a specific workgroup is to creat the shortcut as you stated. But I work the opposite way. I created my workgroup file so that I can set the securities in it. When the users open the database, it uses their own default system.mdw file. This way, the database works on each pc, but they cannot alter the designs of the objects.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back