Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security: user icon goes white with question mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

spelltwister

Programmer
May 12, 2005
US
Hey,

I'm having a problem setting up some permissions and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here's what's up:

I have a domain called DCS with a computer called NOVA on it. This machine is very important and needs a bunch of permissions on it. I need to give an account on the DCS domain, called "dcs", permission to some folders on NOVA. However, after giving "dcs" permissions, it turns white with a question mark and it cannot access that folder.

This is strange because it can read another folder on that computer. Here's the difference:

The folder it can read is on the C: drive and has the Everyone user from NOVA allowed.

The folder it cannot read is on the F: drive and does not have the Everyone user from NOVA allowed.

I thought it shouldn't matter that everyone on NOVA is disallowed because "dcs" is on NTSERVER.

If you need more clarification, please ask and thanks so much for any help! :-D

Mike

Online multiplayer strategy games huh? Try, 1483online.com where the games are FREE and the community drives enhancements to the game. ;-D

I'm not sure if I understand completely. Did you really set the group Everyone to "Deny"? If so, Deny overrides all permissions, and Everyone really means everyone. It's best just to remove the Everyone group, and add the users or groups you want to have permission. Use the Deny permission sparingly if at all.

I don't think I said anything about setting Deny, and no, I didn't.

I did remove the everyone and set the permissions individually, but if I allow anyone access to that folder from DCS, not NOVA, then it will appear as a white icon with a red question mark where normally it's a blue icon (next to the name in the security tab).

Thanks,

Mike

Online multiplayer strategy games huh? Try, 1483online.com where the games are FREE and the community drives enhancements to the game. ;-D

Are you running Active Directory?

You say "dcs is on NTSERVER", what do you mean exactly by that?

When you say 'everyone on NOVA is disallowed", what do you mean? That's probably where the confusion with deny came into play.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Sorry, you said everyone on NOVA is disallowed, wasn't quite sure what you meant.

Is this user connecting to this folder through a share? Did you check the Share Permissions? I've never seen the Security Tab turning white behavior before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back