Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Tab on foldeproperties is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOK

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2003
US
I am setting up Roaming profiles on a 2000 AD server, but am getting an error with the workstation accessing the shared folder located on the server where the profile is located. MS KB says to change the access rights on the security tab of the folder being shared. When I go to that folder, THE SECURITY TAB IS MISSING; in fact its missing from all the shared folders on that server. MS KB says to apply the SP4 to correct the error, but I already have and it still has not corrected the error. There are no errors in reference to this in the event log. Can anyone help?

SMOK

Are these sub-folders that are getting there security from "allow inheritable's"?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

The drives are NTFS. The entire tab for security is missing; included in that is the option to allow permission to propogate to subfolders. It has effected all 3 of the servers on the site. The servers on the other site do have the security tab. Each site runs its own DNS, and WINS.

SMOK

Missing Security Tab. No problem, had this problem during my SP3 upgrade. This was my procedure to do it another manner.

So the OS is Win2000 Advanced Server.
Clear the desktop and right click on the My Computer icon. On the context menu click on manage. This will bring you to the mmc snap-in Computer Management.

Now browse to the Shared Folders tab. Click on shares.

See your shared folder yet. now right click it and see if you can access it from there.

Other than this, you can use 3rd-party Admin Softwares like Ideal Administration by PointDev, DameWare Utilities, or Hyena.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks! Will try that.

SMOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back