Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

security=share vs security=user

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGrimace

Programmer
May 20, 2002
US
When my smb.conf file contains security=share, I don't have any problems, I can browse the files from another computer with ease. However, that's not terribly secure, so I change it to security=user. Now when I try to open my Samba server from another computer, a dialog box opens asking for a username and password (that's good!) but it rejects every username I try. My log files are filled up with smb_pam_auth failed. I've added and enabled the users using smbpasswd. What am I doing wrong?

I have been using Webmin to administer my Samba share and after hacking away at it I finally got it to use user-level security. It is a pain, though. Her is what worked for me:

1. You must use encrypted passwords on the Samba side. Windows requires it.

2. I created linux accounts that matched the windows accounts and gave those accounts permissions on the linux box to r/w the directory that I wanted to share.

3. Then I created Smaba accounts that use the linux accounts and gave them the same password.

I'm sure there is a way to streamline this from 3 levels of user accounts to 1 (Linux, Samba, Windows) but I just don't know how yet.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back