Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Setup in Access? How Can I Set It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robWhitz

MIS
Oct 23, 2001
SG
I have forms, reports, queries... created in an Access DB. However, I have a concern on the security.

How can I prevent the users from accessing/modifying the forms/reports/tables...? The users are only allowed to do data entry, import, export, and report generation.

Please guide me.

Tools, Security, User and Group Accounts. Once there, click on Change Logon Password. Skip Old Password (you are admin by default) and type the desired password in the new password box and then verify. Click APPLY, then OK. Exit the database and reopen. User name is Admin, password is the one you just selected. Go back to the Accounts page. Add yourself by: Click New button to add your account, enter name (ex. Bill) and personal ID (ID is not a password, only an aid in forming a unique primary key). Click OK. IMPORTANT! Select Admins in the Groups list and click the add button. Apply, OK, and then exit the database again. Re enter but this time enter your name (ex. Bill) and leave the password blank (not set yet). Back to the Accounts page, select yourself from the drop down menu, click on change Logon Password, skip old (there isn't one for your new personal account), and enter a new password. OK it all and close and reopen using your login name and password. Back to accounts, Groups tab, develop the groups you want, enter users, then Tools, Security, Group Permissions. Select your group and set their permissions. And your done. Sean.

If you really want to get security right, look in the FAQ area of this forum under security. Read some of the FAQs, read the Microsoft Access Security FAQs, and download the Security Manager Addin from Microsoft. Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Perrymans

The problem with your solution is that you are continuing to use your default .mdw fle. This will create the need for password logins even just in Access itself. Also, it is simple to recreate a default .mdw file, therefore rendering your security useless.

You first need to create a new .mdw file using wrkgrpadmn.exe (spelling?) using a unique ID to prevent someone else replicating it.

Now continue with your instructions as normal.

Start your database with a shorcut containing a command-line which specifies which workgroup to use. Something like:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\db\dbName.mdb" /wrkgrp "h:\sharefolder\secure.mdw"

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back