Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
We have a group of 3 marketing users that enter, edit and use in CRM. We want to add another user with their own set of contacts, but need these to be read-only to the 3 marketing users, and this new user can edit, delete, enter contacts that he owns. The new user's contacts need to be accessible in marketing campaigns that the 3 users create.

If I created a new business unit, this would fix the second issue, but then the existing 3 users cannot see these contacts. I can setup the security role to allow Read and write contacts, but if all 4 users are assigned to the same role, anyone can edit this new user's contacts.

Is there a way to share ALL contacts, yet segregate that 3 users can edit, write some contacts and another contact could edit the ones he owns?

We do not use the "sharing" contacts as 1) you can only share 250 contacts at a time and 2) would need to share everytime you create a new contact and users always forget.

Dis you fin any answer I have the same question ?

One way to achieve what you want is this.

Add a second business unit that is the child of the business unit that has the 3 marketing guys. Place the new user in the new business unit.

Change the security role being used by the first 3 guys to have read permissions on parent-child so they can see contacts in the new business unit but only give them business unit level edit rights.

John O'Donnell
Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist
Microsoft Corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back