Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Problem from 95/97 to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuartJones

Programmer
Jul 10, 2002
GB
I am experiencing an interesting problem.

I have two Access database files that were created using the 95/97 file format (not too sure, but probably 95).

When I try and open these in Access 2002 I recieve a message saying that the current user does not have access rights to the database, and cannot open it.

I then check the database from another PC running Access 97, and the database will open correctly, and I can check the access rights for the database. The default Microsoft user "Admin" owns the database, and has full access to it.

I have checked several other databases that we work with, and only these two which are actually causing the problem.

Any ideas as to what has happened here?

Thanks in advance, Stuart.

My best guess is that Admin does not have permission to open the database exclusively or there is some security weirdness (corruption) going on.

Regardless of the exact cause, importing everything into a new file in Access 97 and then converting the new file will likely solve the problem if it is a security problem.

I had opened the file in Access 97 to check the access rights, and the "Admin" owned the database and had complete access to it.

I was hoping for a better answer than just "corruption" because I would like a preventative measure.

I had already imported all the tables into a new file (but there are almost 2000 of them, and the file is 500 Mb - hence my desire for a preventative measure).

Thanks anyway, but if anyone else has more, it is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back