Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security- Preventing duplicate people

Status
Not open for further replies.

hc1619

Programmer
Feb 17, 2004
NZ
I am building a referral system for my site. Members will be able to refer friends to my site (via a mechanism I'm building), and if 5 join up, then I'll give that member 1 free week of paid membership.

I want to prevent people scamming the system... stopping people from just signing up repetitively on their own computer with different accounts. I know I can't completely prevent this, but what are some good measures I can take? Other than checking for duplicate email addresses (which I already do).. what else can i do? Logging their IP and storing it is useless isn't as the IP changes every time. What can i do?

I utilize a series of cookies placed on user machine that application looks for each time a user attempts access. I utilize a control code containing a determined algorithm to help control usage.

You could wait x months, weeks or days after the 5th account is created. Check how many DB transactions were made by the 5 "users" if there isn't any/many you can assume they are a fake user and deny the bonus

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back