Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security - preventing access to Visual Basic Editor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2005
GB
I am implementing security in a database but when the user clicks on a command that uses visual basic to open an object they don’t have rights to, the resulting message box alarmingly contains a button that opens the Visual Basic editor. Is there a way of preventing this? I thought of using error handling but this is rather tedious as every VB command would have to have it.

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

You may consider a MDE front end

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

My view is that every sub, function ... should have appropriate errorhandling. To me this is not tedious, but an absolute necessity or simply following established standards for coding. For instance as stated in #5 here
There are different methods or tools to use when creating or writing code to assist in this, for instance the freeware where you can use templates including errorhandling for new subs and functions, and even apply errorhandling after the routine is written (but still one by one, I think).

What happens when (not if) other exceptions/errors occur ...?

There's probably code floating around in these fora that might loop through the code, and apply errorhandling, too, but I don't know whether to experiment with that, or just start applying errorhandling by hand/mztools ...

Roy-Vidar

You could alto try:
Application.SetOption "StartUpShowDBWindow", False

Have a look in the startup options for your batabase.

Herman
Say no to macros

What about locking the project from viewing and adding a password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back