Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security/Password/Login question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've seen this done with CGI (PERL), but I'm not sure if it can be done with PHP. If anyone knows if a program like this is already made, I'd be AMAZINGLY happy to have it =P

Here's what I want to do: Say I have 50 employees. I have all their names listed in a giant list. Each employee gets a link to their own page. On the page, it displays information about the employee. The employee actually has their OWN login name/password that they can enter on this page to change/add any information they want into the areas I specify. They just change their info, then edit it and it's automatically displayed on the page.

Is this possible with PHP??? Thanks!

Yes, it's possible. You want to have the employee page database driven, so the content (biography, photo, favorite links, whatever) comes from a database. In your database, you have a 'users' table with names, usernames, and passwords, and and id number of all the employees on the 'giant list'. Authenticate the employee by comparing his/her username and password against his/her id number. If they match, allow the user to change his/her info only. I don't know of an existing program to do this because it can vary so much according to your needs, but it could be done fairly easily. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back