Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security on Access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie67

Technical User
Mar 5, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have set up security on a very simple database, in which all data is generated and stored in the same table within the database. All I want to do is have two users, one "full data user" and one "read only user". This is simple for my own PC but, when I put it on the network for others to access, they either get "you do not have the correct permissions..." and can't open it at all, or get in without being asked for a password.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong?

Also, my ID field in the table is an autonumber. This causes problems in that I can't order records alphabetically by country (the main field) - any suggestions?

These are probably very simple, but I'm a complete beginner with Access so any help would be appreciated.

you need to create a shortcut with a command line simmila to this

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msaccess.exe" "C:\working\DatabaseDir\Dev\Program.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:\working\DatabaseDir\Dev\SecutityFile.mdw"

or on each workstation use the MS Access Workgroup Administrator found in the office Dir to join the workgroup / security file

Get the Access security FAQ and read through it three times. You can get it from MS or from my website.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back