Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security of backups in handbag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fissidens

Programmer
May 6, 2002
GB
We backup 18GB of data each day to a removable hard drive, using Robocopy (actually 2 in rotation). These are USB2 devices on an XP workstation attached to the network. The files themselves are copied from a W2K3 file server.
I am worried that the drives are taken off-site (good) by a secretary (neutral) in her handbag (bad). If the hard drive gets stolen we could end up with some confidential files in the wrong hands.
Is there any way of password protecting the USB drive? Remember the Robocopy script runs at night as a service so there's no-one logged in at the time. I guess any password would have to be applied at the time the drive is first detected by the USB service.
Any comments at all would be appreciated!

This has nothing to do with NAS or SAN. There is a forum called "General Backup Discussion" you can post this question on. forum531

IMHO, this is the most insecure and inappropriate way to backup any data. If your secretary was to bump her handbag leaving the building, the chances of your drive being good will be slim to none. As long as the drive is formatted with NTFS and security is setup on your folder you should be as secure as you can get.

May I suggest you look at investing into a tape media backup method to be used for offsite storage. Maybe back your data up to the external drives, then backup the external drive to tape for offsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back