Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Nightmares 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCridland

Technical User
Jul 2, 2001
US
I created a database. I also set up users to play around with the security. For some reason, I am unable to enter new users or groups (the buttons are all gray). I also for some reason am no longer the admins for the database despite being the owner. I tried changing the ownership to both my user name and admin. Neither works so I can't run the security wizard. Is there a way to clear all the security settings, delete all users except admin (basically restore the database to where it was before)?

The security settings are actually in the workgroup file (default: system.mdw). Use the work group administrator program (WRKGADM.EXE) to view which file you are using. You can also look in the registry.

Access 97:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Access\Jet\3.5\Engines\SystemDB

Access 2000:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Access\Jet\4.0\Engines\SystemDB

When setting up security, did you modify admin permissions in any way or add a password? Can you login as admin? Perhaps, you can repair the problems using the admin login.

You may need to obtain a fresh system.mdw file and replace the current file. You may be able to import objects from the current DB to a new database.

I recommend the following articles on Access security. You should also consider using the security wizard. I've found it to be very helpful.

ACC: Overview of How to Secure a Microsoft Access Database

JET DATABASE ENGINE SECURITY

IMPLEMENTING ACCESS WORKGROUP SECURITY ON AN EXISTING ACCESS SYSTEM
Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

I am the creator of the database and should be the admin...how can I verify how I am logged on to the database? Does Access pickup the identity of the user through the windows logon?

Access doesn't use the Windows login. It has it's own logon. To check the logon select Tools | Security | User and Group Accounts. In the User and Group Accounts dialog, select the Change Logon Password tab. Your current logon will be listed at the top of the page. Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back