Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupertandolly

Programmer
Aug 5, 2005
AU
Hi,

I need to be able to administer users within a secured database without opening the database in design mode. i.e. Provide a button (?) on a form that will run the security wizard to allow maintenance of users etc. This is required as my client does not want the database opened in design mode by anybody but a developer.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to even do it, so if anyone know of a better way I am really keen to hear it.

TIA

Hi.

Take a look at

I found this from another post here several months back, and it worked nicely, allowing me to add users, change passwords, ... via code.

You will have to set a reference to DAO in your vbA to make it work, if you haven't already.

ChaZ

There Are 10 Types Of People In The world:
Those That Understand BINARY And Those That Don’t.

Thanks ChaZ. My client is using Access 97 (I know!) and will not upgrade for this particular application (defence). According to the linked document this solution applies to Access 2000.

I regret that I can not say if the article will work with 97 (probably not).

Further, I understand your dilema.

Unless you find another solution, than consider placing the upgraded 2K version on one machine only. The administrater perhaps, and allowing that user to run the security functions.

Beyond that, I got nothing.

Sorry.

ChaZ

Wait, I have a thought.

Your client want's to restrict design mode access. This is reasonable, but it is not possible, as I am sure you know. You can disable the shift key thing and what not, but you can't fully stop it if a user has more than 10 minutes and a book or internet connection.

OK, knowing that, assume you lock down all of your tables, queries, and what not, so they can't be altered. Then, when security updates are required, design mode has no real meaning.

An argument like that may work with your client, perhaps not, but maybe.

Either way, you know that even with the best laid out security with access, it can be cracked. Largely because the bad guy can simply take a copy of the whole thing and work on it later. If your folks are really worried, maybe you should suggest upgrading to an SQL back end or something like that.

Either way, good look.

ChaZ

I usually just add the Security menu to my custom menu. So, from the Main form, only users that belong to the Admins group can add users or groups or modify their permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back