Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security login to use CR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srussell705

Programmer
Mar 26, 2001
US
I have a vendor from an epicor reseller that is demanding I put in log-ins with dbo access to my SQL Server for all my users of their product.

Sorry but that isn't going to happen!

The reports are created and have a connection string defined for the dataConnection. Well at least it is defined for the tables that the report uses. there is a "command" table that just is a summary SQL statement giving starting #s for the report to base off of.

How do I set a global set of SQL UserIDs / PW that I create for ALL of my reporting?

I see Report User(s) by work environment, so Accounting has one as does Sales. Each will have access to their necessary area of the db.

Currently when I try to run the report I get a SQL Server login box.

TIA

__Stephen

Why not use Windows Authentication with SQL Server instead of SQL Server Authentication.

This way you can make a call to the windows environment for the currenty logged on user and use this in your connection string for CR.

Why would you go to that granularity? The db doesn't pick up the groups from AD or is there another feature in 2005 that I missed?

I want to map security in the db properly. I'd rather do that on a job work area like HR, AR, AP, Production Floor then a few hundred users.

Secondly this is a reporting environment and I only want read level access and no write back.

OK, I take your point.

It sound like a processing extension may provide an answer.

The only problem with this approach is that you need Crystal Reports Server, Business Objects Crystal Decisions or Business Objects Enterprise to process the report instead of using the RDC.

Processing extensions allow for one report to be run for all users but filter the result to only show data relevant to a user's dept, area or whatever criteria you stipulate.

Processing extensions are a custom built dll that when integrated with one of the above products, append additional code to the where clause of the sql generated by a crystal report.

This is for use within epicor so I don't know what the products are that come as part of "Vantage-Epicor"

Honestly it sounds very insecure. Usually followed with the line "Just give everyone dbo rights and your good to go."

I wonder if Crystal Reports passes SOX?

__Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back