Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Issues in Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

afryer

Programmer
Mar 9, 2004
GB
All,

I hope somebody can help me with regards to this Windows 2000 problem I have been experiencing.

Basically, what I have been doing is writing an application in Microsoft Access, which runs an external program as part of the functionality. This external program attempts to change the password on a remote machine. This is fine and works correctly, but there is a problem because it takes a LONG time to run as it has to log onto the remote computer and attempt the change. If it does not work the first time then it has a list of other possible passwords that it has to check and as you can imagine if it has to check all of them then the program becomes basically unusable.

What I would like to know is either of the following:

1) A Windows API function, which will allow me to find the correct password BEFORE running the external application. This needs to be relatively quick as I am trying to reduce the run-time of the application considerably!

2) Alternatively I could write my own function to perform the password update. What I would need to do is the following:
- log onto the remote box using a specified IP address and password
- perform the password change, logging any errors
- close the remote connection.

As part of my attempt to fix it I have tried creating a NET USE connection, but this is just as, if not slower than the current solution.

Any hints/tips/advice would be MOST welcome as I am new to the murky world of Windows API's.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back