Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

associates

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2005
AU
Hi,

I've read some threads regarding database security. I have just set up security for my database using the user-level security wizard for a start recommended by microsoft support. At the same time, it created a workgroup file and stored into system1.mdw. Once done, i went to create a password by going to tools -> security -> set database password. However, i got a pop-up dialog box saying "you need to have the database open for exclusive use to set or unset the database password".

Another question is that i noticed some people talking about log in as user1. Is that mean i need to log out from windows and login as another user.

Sorry for asking silly question but i really don't know as this is my first time i have attempted to create security.

Thank you for your help in advance.

How are ya associates . . . . .

You should be using the [blue]Name & Password you provided when you set user level security![/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Hi, AceMan1

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for being so slow to know what you're getting at. What do you mean by using name & password? I mean yes, when i set user lever security using wizard, i was asked to fill in name and password. But i suppose what i want is before opening the database, there should be a prompt for username and password that i can put them in. So, i thought to do that, i need to set database password and got this error message shown in the previous threat.

Would you be kind to tell me what you meant when you said should be using name and password?

Thank you

Hi Associates,

Briefly, the Database Password is one password for all users of a database. It is very basic, and does not give user-level security. Most people would not bother with it. If you have set up security using the user-level security wizard, you are on the right track. However, this is a complex subject and takes some time to get to grips with - but it's worth the effort. The best thing I can suggest is to look at Jack MacDonald's document here - - along with the Microsoft FAQ I found it invaluable.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

Hi, Bob. Thank you for your reply.

I experimented it with the database as I was reading and following the instruction on the article you pointed me to 70% as well as the microsoft access security FAQ article as follows:

It works (i haven't found any holes so far) however, because i'm implementing this security on a database that is shared on the network on my laptop while connecting to the network, this user-level security would only work as long as the other users use my laptop to access to the database.

Is there any way that i can use to impose this database security on anyone trying to access to it without using my laptop but with their computer while they are on the network. BTW, the secured database resides on the fileserver on the network.

Thank you in advance

Hi Associates,
As I said, this is a complex area - I had to read the documentation several times before I felt comfortable with it - but a few pointers to get you on the right lines...
1. If the database is going to be shared, I strongly suggest you look at splitting it into Front-end (which contains the queries, forms, reports), linked to the Back-end which contains the tables. The front-end would be located on each user's PC (desktop or laptop), while the Back-end is on a shared network drive. However, before you do that, you need to be comfortable with the user-level security.
2. Both the shared database (Back-end) and the workgroup file need to be in a network drive to which all users have full read write permissions.
3. All users should be joined to the default (System.mdw) workgroup file as standard, and only join your new workgroup file for the session in which they are using this secured database. To do this, you need to create a desktop shortcut which they use to open Access - this is made up of four components: the Access executable, the path to the database, the workgroup switch, and the path to the workgroup file. Check the help file for the syntax.
4. To start with, get your unsplit database secured, make sure you're happy with how security works and that it works correctly for a number of users from different PCs, then you can look at splitting it and applying security to the Back-end and Front-end databases - using the same workgroup file.
5. Finally, ALWAYS keep back-ups!

I can't really give you a step-by-step guide to this - as I found out the hard way, you have to work through this yourself to understand it, and if you don't understand it, one day it will fall apart on you. But do shout if there are any specifics you need help with.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back