Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Implications of File and Print Sharing???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stclsquid

Programmer
May 25, 2004
US
Hi,

I have found out that it is neceassary to turn on file and print sharing for sms to install push clients and send out advertisements/collect data.

Are there any security holes that this opens, and if so, is there a way to plug them but still maintain SMS operations?

If I find anything out from other sources I will post up answers for those interested.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

Is it possible to only allow administrators to make new permissions?

Enabling File and Printer Sharing doesn't necessarily open any security holes because of the share and NTFS permissions. Enabling sharing then providing everyone full control opens up a couple of holes.

Just make sure your permissions are set right. If I remember correctly, a user has to have Full Control to be able to modify permissions.

I think you are right. On my client pc I have three shares - $admind, C$, and IPC$ - They are all there for "administrative purposes and I think that is all needed.

Yep, they are admin shares and are damn handy. Just make sure your local admin password(s) doesn't get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back