Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security: denied permission to owner/administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2005
GB
I have 2 databases, both of which I am the owner and administrator. When I try to copy or import objects from one database to the other, I get a message saying I don't have the necessary permission and to get the administrator or owner, i.e. me, to do it for me. Any ideas?

Who is "I"? When you say "I am the owner and admisistrator", what do you mean? Access uses Admin as the default administrator, but 'you' may be a new user you created in either the default system.mdw, or some other user in an alternate .mdw which you or someone on your machine or any other machine may have joined.
--Jim

I logged on to both databases with my username (not admin) which I created and gave administrator rights in both. The databases are in separate directories with their own .mdw file. I assumed that as my username has administrator rights I am able to do anything to the database. I managed to get round the problem by copying the objects into a new unsecured database and then copying them into the destination database from there. Not ideal but workable.

Hi,

You are using two different mdw's and your account is not the same on both, regardless of the name and pwd. They don't share information and in mh opinion nevre will.
You could use one mdw for both databases or use your found solution.

EasyIT

Technically (unless access 2005 changes this) you can use the same username in different .mdw's and it will resolve to the same user in any database opened with either .mdw, if you use the same PID when creating the user. But this doesn't mean each .mdb has the same rights for the datbase access, and of course objects will be different.

If security was done by the book, then the Admins group will have *no* rights, and you wouldn't get into either unless you had specific permissions for the user.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back