Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security concerns in distributed MS Access app

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDGarcia

Programmer
Oct 7, 2004
PR
Good day everyone.
We use MS Access 2013 in my Company. Until recently, there were no runtime drivers for this version. We had to install the whole application for my clients to access the app. I have a security problem with a user that keeps changing his user level directly into the table. I created an mde file, but it will show all options and objects. Then I hide the tables but he can still access the objects options to create forms, reports, etc. I've had downloaded the runtime version for Access 2013 (AccessRuntime_en-us_x86) and install it. It's been such a long time since I've created a runtime distribution file and I can't fine any options on the Start menu or the application to create these files.
I'll appreciate if someone can point me into the right path to create the runtime app or you may also give me pointers on how to stop unauthorized access to the mdb objects.
Thank you.
Regards.

Thanks <genomon> but I'm on Access 2013 and the only conversion that I found was to create a mde file. The only option I got is for split the database.

Regards.

Found the path to make the accdb file, but I can still access all the objects when I opened it. Could it be because I'm the creator?

Also, my certificate won't allow me to package the application.

Thanks.

the only conversion that I found was to create a mde file...Found the path to make the accdb file

The .mdb must be converted to an .accdb first.
Then simply renaming the file may be enough - have another look at the article after you convert the database.
If you prefer, try using an older version of Access to create an mde and see if that works...

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Thanks.

I was able to convert the database and create the accdb. I'm testing the options to make sure that the objects are not visible or accessible.

Thank you.

Good day.

One final note: you can save the DB as a accdb or mde but you still have to turn off the options you don't want the user to have access. You can always package the application, if your security certificate allows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back