Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Clearance Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiefmer

MIS
May 19, 2000
US
I have a question about DoD Security Clearance. I applied for a job with a government contractor, and before they even interview you for the job they send you through the process of getting Top Secret Security Clearance. I filled everything out, and waited, and waited. Finally, I got an email from the contracting company saying that the DoD approved my clearance. Does that mean that I now have Active Top Secret Clearance? Also, am I able to put that on my resume and is it good for where ever I go for as long as it is current? I don't know if I want to ask these questions to the contracting company. Any help would be great.

Thank you,
Kiefmer

No, that does not mean you have it right now. The clearance only goes into effect once you start working for the company.

Once you leave the company, it will deactivate. You have up to 2 years to find another job that uses the clearance you have or else they will need to go through the entire process all over again.

So in short... you only have an active clearance when you work for the company and it is deactive when you are not.

Hope that helped!

I was a Military Intelligence Analyst in the US Army. In order to receive my training, I had to have a Top Secret security clearance. At the time, I was told that my security clearance was valid for 5 years from the time it took effect. It didn't matter that I left the Army prior to that 5 year time period. I'm not disputing what MikeyJudd is stating, but things may be different for military personnel, or things may have changed since I served.

I think that may be the case. I received my clearance because I worked for a sub contractor of the Air Force instead of actually being in the military.

But those were the conditions I had when I was hired and when I quit.

I was under the impression, also, that the Top Secret is good for 5 years.

So since I haven't started working for the company, would I be considered as having dactive clearance?

Thanks for all the help.

What you completed was the "Interim Security Clearance" process. That was a "brief" clearance procedure. The detailed, in-depth process happens later. The DoD will do a much more detailed investigation for your permanent clearance. That will happen once you are hired on by the company the clearance is required for. As MikeyJudd stated, my clearance was terminated when I left the company for another job in the private sector.

"...and did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!"
"Don't stop him. He's roll'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back