Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security and site design

Status
Not open for further replies.

manimal

Programmer
Feb 23, 2002
NZ
Hi guys!
Can any one give me some links to sites that give me some security tips when programming websites? I've done a search through google and I mainly get stuff about securing servers and such, but I'm wanting details about how to design websites with some security - like do I use complicated names for database names/fields, etc.?

Thanks!

Hi Manimal,

Look on the site from Allaire for the keyword "application.cfm" you wil find some nice examples how to secure your pages with the help of application.cfm. You could also look in the documentation about application.cfm or the tek-tips threads.

Charl

I just found one that helps from people to have access to your database files. If you webserver supports FP extensions, the _private directory on windows servers wont let people grab it through a web browser.

MC

One thing to remember about database files is that you should always, always, ALWAYS keep them out of a web-accessible directory. If you are in a shared hosting environment, then consider creating a web folder in the root of your web application and keep all web-accessible files in there. Keep your database file off the root in a separate directory.

-Tek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back