Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SECURITY & PERMISSIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7zr

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
In trying to solve another problem I believe I have screwed up my Security & Permissions. For one a scheduled task that ran fine daily is now not running. Secondly I have I think too many Group or User Names. I have:
Administrator [Computer Name\Administrator]
Administrators [Computer Name\Administrators]
Creator Owner
Everyone
System
User [Computer Name\User]
Users [Computer Name\Users]

Is there an easy way to get things back to "original"?

Sometimes with Scheduled Tasks, just re-entering the password again gets it going. What does the Scheduled Tasks log tell you the error is?

Where are you seeing that list of users? Is it on every file, just the drive root, or are you looking in Computer Management? I don't know if you have to worry too much about the names, just make sure that any Permissions are correct. It is easy enough to remove users from any listing but the consequences can be alarming if you don't know what you are doing.

To answer your question read this.

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults

For general help with Security Access Permissions etc.

Use access control to restrict who can use your files

How to Share and Set Permissions for Folders and Files Using Windows XP

Keep Your Data More Secure

Search in help and support = File and Folder permissions

Thanks for the links and tips. I have solved the scheduler problem. I believe it was a corrupt permission file for the scheduler task. By deleting all of the tasks and then recreating them it appears all is well there.

I guess what I was looking in my searches was a list of the default groups and permissions. I think at this point I will leave all as is until I can figure out why I have administrator and administrators, etc.

Thanks again.

You need to explore the differences between UserNAMES and UserGROUPS. Have a look in Computer Management/ Local Users and Groups. See what shows up when you click on the Properties of the various Users and Groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back