Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing windows xp c d key .

Status
Not open for further replies.

learningcurb

Technical User
Nov 5, 2007
CA
Hi Guys.
I am planning to donate one of my Computers to a
need de organization to help kids , my question to you is
how can I secure my windows xp cd keys from some one using it or passing it on .

Thanks for youre help .

Learningcurb.

Donate it without an OS installed. That's the only way. Besides, if you donate it with the Os installed with your CD key, and you plan on using your CD key on an other computer to install windows, then that is terms of Service Violation.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Depending on how sensitive the data on the machine is, you might want to consider removing the hard drive and substituting a new, blank drive. That's cheaper than paying to have your drive wiped.

It is quite scary what people leave behind on supposedly 'dead' machines. Picked up one with a burnt out power supply. Replaced the power supply and everything was intact - office, pirated packages, email the whole works.

If the OS was supplied with the computer via an OEM OS, you have to supply the OS along with the computer...the OS is tied to the computer and can't be used on another machine.

Gotta love MS for that.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Davetoo has it right:

OEM - must die or be given away with the computer (actually, technically it's the motherboard).

Retail - can be moved from PC to PC as long as it's installed on only ONE PC at a time. If it is a retail copy and you give them the PC, it's not much of a donation without the OS since they'd have to buy one.

Whack on a version of Linux. I don't use it (so don't flame me), but hey it's free and you don't have to worry about giving them a "useless" pc....

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back