Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing Lotus Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBarron

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
GB
I am interested in finding out how SSL can relate to Lotus Notes. Can Notes run through IIS and thereby use an SSL certificate that way, or do you have to buy individual client certificates.

Hope this makes sense to someone. I know nothing about Lotus Notes and the question I am posing here was asked of me by someone else.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Lotus Domino (the server) can run its HTTP stack from IIS or it can run its own more secure http stack. If you choose the IIS route, it is pretty easy to configure as far as I can tell, but you have all the vunerabilities of IIS to contend with. If you choose Domino's own HTTP stack, again it is pretty easy to set up and can easily be configured to use SSL. You can even create your own CA (Certificate Authority) to issue certificate - only they wont be recognised by the common browsers as certs by companies such as Verisign and Thawte do. The best advice I can give you is get hold of a book called Domino System Administration from New Riders (ISBN 1-56205-948-3 US$49.99), it is one of the best Domino Admin books I have seen, and pretty much my admin bible. Almost everything you need to know about Domino is in there - including setting up the SSL withing Domino.

Hope this helps,
Adam

If you're using R5, you can also get Certification from VeriSign to run on your Notes server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back