Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing Data 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeHank

Technical User
Jan 2, 2011
US
I have a membership database of about 1000 records containing names, addresses, interests, monies paid for various activities, etc.

As annual renewals are processed, one or possibly two volunteers (who may have had experience with Excel only) will be upgrading the membership table via a renewal form and query.

What precautions can be taken to minimize the possibility of these volunteers contaminating or destroying the database?

The computers used will not be networked, which means some method of integrating the volunteers' work must be devised.

Backup, backup, backup. . .

Did i mention making a backup (and possibly more than one per day per volunteer).

Once all of the work has been completed on the separate pc's, extract the data into delimited files, sort into the appropriage sequence, and load the combined data.

You may also want to consider logging who changed what, when. If done right you can take the log files from each computer and via a program read and build the final data set. But of course one must also Backup the log files <smile>

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

If you are using SQL 2008 or better, might I suggest enabling Change Data Control (aka. CDC) on the table(s). Makes for a GREAT auditing system.

--------------------------------------------------
“Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.” --Wernher von Braun
--------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back