Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing Access databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

afryer

Programmer
Mar 9, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I am working on a Microsoft Access database that I need to secure using a user-defined MDW file. When I connect the database to this file it also applies the security to all of the databases, which is not what I want - does anyone have any ideas how this could be done, so that only this one database connects to the MDW file? I have tried setting the workgroup using code and this works, but again it sets the user-defined security for all databases!

Thanks

Andrew

Create a shortcut to your database and include the wrkgrp start up command line option, something like:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "L:\MIS\Mis.mdb" /wrkgrp "L:\MIS\Mis.mdw"

The rest of the dbs shall open using the default mdw (if you join back to the default).

Hi,

Thanks for that - it works fine, but if the user is able to get access to the .MDB file then simply double clicking on it will open the application with no security. Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks

Yes!

Does the User group account have any rights?
Does the Admin user account have any rights?

If any1 can loggon without a UserID+Psswrd then your settings for user level security are not set correctly.-

Revoke all from admin in your secured DB.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back