Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing a Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2000
US
OK, here is my senario:

I have an asp pages with (login.asp). This reads a SQl database to see if the username/password exsist. It then checks to see what level of security they have (turns things on and off throught the site) and the directs them to a directory.

Here is where it gets interesting. The directory that they are being directed to needs to be secured so that unathorized users can not access it.

What I would LOVE to do is log the user into NT (WIN2K) without having to pop-up another login window. Is there a way via ASP to pass a username and password to NT and log the user in?

We have a similar problem at present too...

I'm attempting to develop a login/admin/security section of an extranet, using ASP on an SSL server, storing in an Access 2000 database the possible users and all their details (usernames, passwords etc).

Security is not a problem on all the ASP pages on the site (I used the session object to store a variable indicating a sucessful login), but the extranet will also contain files such as word documents, pdf's etc, which need to be made secure.

So i'd like to know if it is possible to secure certain directories, and allow in only the usernames/passwords stored in our database (Not NT usernames, as we cannot add/remove usernames on our ISP's server).

Thanks in advance...

Mark Edward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back