Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrix007

Technical User
Dec 26, 2001
AU
hi all, are there any exploits/vulnarabilities for firebox's? i am thinking about getting one.

Hi, I recently went from Satellite to Cable. I was able to get rid of software running on my PC that supported the Satellite setup, such as, the proxy server. Getting rid of this software really freed up my PC. All this was replaced with a Watchguard WG2500, which supports up to 4 connected PC's and functions as a switch. I have 3 PC's on the WG2500 and 2 connected through an ethernet hub. It is wonderful!

I am not sure about being vulnerable, but a friend tried to crack it and couldn't.

It has been my experience that WatchGuard makes a very solid product. Provided you configure it correctly, I have not heard of anyone getting in uninvited. I have setup, configured and managed quite a few of them.

I have been setting up and configuring Watchguard fireboxes quite a while and have never seen them cracked...even at the Universities where I have the installed. I have hired ethical hackers that successfully failed in getting anywhere. Watchguard is the best out there that I have found.

If you check out and look up watchguard, you will find that they have had a few vulnerabilities, but only a few. Nothing is completely safe from being hacked, however the more layers of security you put in front of the hacker, will make it harder and that usually means they will give up in favor of a an easier target.

Watchguard makes excellent products, however they are only as secure as the person configuring them.

AM

I checked out the link you provided and all known vulnerabilities listed, date back to previous versions of WatchGuard's product. To the best of my knowledge these have all been fixed with the latest release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back