Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

secure server pages 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JillC

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
AU
I've started a re-design of a website which was designed using Front Page some years ago. There are a number of booking forms which are on a secure server. While this is organised by the hosting company, instead of using https in front of the domain, it goes to a different server belonging to the hosting company with a folder using our username as access. In the instructions, it just says to put any pages needed to be secured inside the ssl folder. So, I have experimented with some pages and managed to get the graphics and links working (which were not functional on the old pages). I think I'm finished but I'm really confused as to why all the filenames in this folder start with an underscore. Does this stop webbots? Or what is the purpose? Eventually, these pages will need to be edited again and am hoping to be able to do that in FrontPage as that is what the end-user has on her pc. Should I continue using underscores or not?

I can't comment from personal experience as to whether it will stop webbots, but there is no reason to have underscores in filenames, especially at the beginning of a filename.

Bear in mind that:

one_two_three.htm will have a lower ranking than one-two-three.htm on google.

Google does not distinguish one_two_three as separate words, whereas one-two-three is seen as three separate words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back