Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secure Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychonaut2000

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
I'm evaluating Remote Management solutions for my employer and I'd like to know what security holes exist with the following products:

-VNC in its various iterations (e.g. RealVNC, TightVNC, etc)

-Microsoft Windows XP Remote Desktop

-Novell Zenworks Desktop Management Agent

Put another way, which Remote Management solution(s) currently in existance are most secure.

What sort of scenario are you referring to? Employees connecting in from home over the web? Business to business remote management?...I would probably say that no 'single' application would be considered secure unless it's in use over a secure tunnel like VPN etc

if you just want a cheapie version running across the internet I would go for something like Remote Administrator for 'console' access (you can specify which port you want to use..ie not a hardcoded one that everyone knows)..but bear in mind that if you don't use security/encryption etc it will be like unzipping your fly to the internet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back