Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secure NFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddave

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
GB
Hi,
Is there such as thing as secure NFS? I have found one way, but dont thing it will do what I want.
Basically, we currently have a remote drive on which is a linux share, mapped to a drive letter in windows, for example drive "M".
All our software is hardcoded to pick files up from the "m" drive.
This uses NFS but we have been told to change our systems to use a more secure method of transfer. Is there such a thing as SNFS available so that we can still use drive letters but transfers are handled in a secure manner?

Thanks.

I think that you can make NFS secure with tcpwrappers, but this may be more trouble than it is worth. Anyone out there do this?

NFS is insecure because the data is "sniffable" over the network and spoofable by IP and has no user level authentication. You can also spoof your UID on the remote end to get around file access controls.

Samba/CIFS is an option, but I don't think that it's encrypted. There is also userfs/sshfs, but I think that's only available to a Linux client.

You could mount the NFS share over an ssh tunnel, that gets you user level authentication and encryption, but doesn't fix the problem if UID spoofing. That may not be an issue to you, though.

If encryption isn't required, I'd go Samba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back