Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secure FTP to AIX 4.3.3 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrothey

Technical User
Jul 1, 2005
US
Hello all. I have a request to allow secure ftp to an AIX server running 4.3.3. When I test the connection I'm getting a message "connection refused". Could someone shed some light on how I can allow secure ftp connections inbound to this server?

Thanks.

my stupid question: do you have the openssh packages installed on the aix 4.3.3 server? if so, is the sshd daemon running ? do you have port 22 blocked at/before the host ?

They may be asking about FTPs which some call Secure FTP which is totally different from SFTP

I ran into this a few weeks ago and couldn't find a solution for older versions of AIX

Norm

Yes, I did installed openssh after I first installed openssl. I didn't receive any errors during installation, but afterward I'm still unable to use a ftp application to successfully connect via port 22. I getting the "connection refused" error internally from a laptop so the firewall rule at this point isn't an issue. Plus the requester is able to successfully ftp to the server so I know that the rule itself is working via port 21.

When I review the Subsystems I don't have a sshd one to select and when I run startsrc -s sshd I get "0513-085 The sshd Subsystem is not on file."

If they are using port 21 then it isn't sftp using ssh , more than likely it is FTPs which uses FTP over SSL ...
I think you might be out of luck

Norm

I wanted the client to validate the firewall rule created for this request worked since both ftp and ssh services are enabled for the firewall rule. I left them a voicemail to see if they are simply typing ftp://xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:22 or using some middleware software.

Thanks for the follow-up post.

to see if it is really working, try to sftp to the server from within a telnet session on that same server. That will bypass any firewall. If it works then its either firewall or not sftp

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back