Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary Server Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtoledo

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
We are building a new server that is replacing an existing server, and would like to bring up the new server with a different name, and have the ability to for clients to still connect to the new server using the original server name during a tranisition period.

Adding a DNS entry works great for users connecting to the server through FTP, HTTP, etc, but for users trying to do file sharing this will not work.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure that the DNS entry will not work ?

What are your clients running ? Are they part of an Active Directory domain ?

If they are running XP and are part of an AD Domain then they should find all network resources by resolving machine names to IP addresses via DNS. This is unless you are running WINS servers on your network which could well complicate matters.
Jonathan

90 percent of our clients connect to the server via AD/DNS and a simple change to our login script will solve the problem.

The rest of of the users are parts of other domains and manually map/attach to the server using DNS resolution to the computer name "\\server.domain.com\sharename". For these users we would like them to stil be able to use the old name to map the drive short term. If you attempt to connect to the server it will let you authenticate, then give an error saying it can't map the drive because of a duplicate computer name (which is not the case).

Thanks for the info!

This is exactally what I was looking for. I spent some time searching, I guess I didn't search on the right combination of keywords to find the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back