Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary HDD help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarestarr77

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
US
Hi :)

I recently tried installing a second HDD into my system.
I put it in ok..made sure my primary was the primary, and not the slave.. and everything seemed ok.. no errors.

However, when I boot into Windows 98 SE, I try to work the drive selection on my second HDD in my Display Manager. The pull down menu is greyed out, so I am unable to have this option available to me. I wanna know how to make this HDD active!

You need to create partitions on this drive using fdisk and format it prior to using it in Windows.

You can either boot to a Dos command prompt or restart in Dos mode and run Fdisk. Create your partitions, restart, and then format the partitions.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

I already ran fdisk..

It is only a 1 GIG HDD, and whenever I try to partition it, fdisk says that the drive is too small.

Should I give up? ;)

Run FDisk and use option 5 to switch to HDD #2. Then delete all partitions on it and recreate them. Have you attempted this already?

Remove your primary hard drive, fdisk to remove then fdisk again to recreate, and "make active" the primary partition on that drive.
Put the system back together.
Open device manager, select hard disk controllers, remove them. Restart, let the controllers reinstall. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

When you run fdisk option 5 (select 2nd drive) then option 4 to view partitions, what exactly does it say about the drive, partitions, free space, etc......

Where did you get the drive from and did it have any previous OS on it...say NT or a Unix blend?

If the drive was initially partitioned with an extended partition and logical drives instead of a primary partition, and is NTFS/HPFS or some other Non-Dos type then fdisk will more than likely be unable to remove the partiton.

Check it out...if it that is the case let us know and we can provide you with the info you need to remove this partition.

Also, I would be cautious about creating a primary partition on this drive if your primary drive has multiple partions..say one primary and extended with logical drives. If you make a primary partition on the 2nd drive it will be drive 'D' forcing the primary drives logical partitions to 'E', 'F' , and so on. This could cause problems if you have applications that were installed on drive D.

Since your problem seems to be related to the drive itself and its partitioning scheme or lack thereof, I would forego the suggestion of removing your hard drive controllers from Device Manager, as this should not have anything to do with your issue.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Let me step back for a moment here and explain that my Primary is hooked up to my DVD-ROM.

Is that an issue? I read somewhere that it could be.

However,

When running fdisk, I can see that there are no partitions on the secondary. I bought it with no OS on it, it is completely clean.

I'll have to get back to on EXACTLY what it says when trying to partition the secondary. I'm at work. ;>

Ok, HDD is partitioned.

Still, though, when I boot up into Windows, the Current Drive Letter Assignment option is greyed.

Do I need a disk for this HDD?.. Should I load Windows onto it?

To address the question about your primary being hooked up to your DVD. What exactly do you mean by that?

You don't want a CD or DVD drive connected to the same IDE channel as a hard drive as either the primary or the slave. This setup hampers the transfer rates for your hard disk. You should have both hard drives on the same channel and any other drives (CD or DVD) on a separate channel. Good luck. Justin
Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

Have u set the jumpers properly on yr secondary channel ?
Make yr Hard disk as Master and dvd rom as slave. If nothing workes. give command as

Fdisk /mbr

this will recreat yr master boot record.

And have u formatted the disk ?

I have installed on my PC two 15 GB HDD (Fat32), - C and D.
The second HDD (D) is partitioned into two “logical” disks (D and E).

By using the software MacOpener 3.0, I formatted the “logical” drive E, as a Mac Disk in Windows PC.
On conformity with the MacOpener 3.0 web description “…Chose “MacFormat…and simply select the format type you
prefer –that’s it! The disk
will then be formatted as Macintosh)…”.

The problem I have is that NO longer I can see the volume name of partition D. When I switch to partition D (for PC), I
don’t get the
“drives” level I can’t open the driver on Explorer.

a) What can I do to eliminate the MacFormat from the drive E?
b) How can I revert the MacFormat partition, back to PC format?
c) What can I do to see and open the volume drive D?

Now, I can see only an empty MacFormat partition (E). The PC portion (D) no longer is visible.

Please help us sooner possible by recovering back to the PC format.
Disparately yours, Peter

I have a Toshiba Laptop which I just bought from ebay it was working fine but alot of programs were left on it from the previous owner. So I formated the disk drive in order to start all over with my stuff only, that way i know what exactly is on my system. So I formated the drive and then started to install Windows 95 with floopy disk, when I began installation it ran scandisk and showed I had two drive, drives C: and D: found no errors. So I continued with the uploading of the set up program, but half way in installing the setup program that would guide me threw the setup it's self it stop due to not have enough space in the C: drive, but my HDD is 6GBs and C: only was partitioned with about 25mb and the D: drive has 6GB how do I get all the disk space back to just the C: drive through DOS because that is the only OS I have right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back