Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary Domain on Exchange server 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data67

MIS
Dec 10, 2001
US
-Windows NT 4.0 SP6
-Exchange 5.5
-DNS
-IIS
-MX and A records are in order

We are currently hosting two web sites, a.com and b.com. I would like to know how to setup e-mail for these two separate domains using only one static IP address. The MX records and the A records have already been taken care of. The chnages to the DNS record were made more that 5 days ago. I have already inserter the new domain names in the IMC routing as <inbound>. Tried to change the SMTP address for the user to the new domain but still no luck receiving e-mail.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks.

Data67
Thanks

I am About to do the same thing.
.co.uk & .com have you any tips

Gary

I know you said that the DNS was taken care of, but I want to make sure that it was. The MX records for both the a.com and b.com domains should point to an A record that corresponds to your mail servers. So say you have an A record for your a.com domain that says:

mail A 35.46.42.129

You don't need to create a similar record in the b.com domain. You just need to create MX records in both a.com and b.com domains that point at mail.a.com.

Other than that, you just need to have valid SMTP addresses configured, and that IMC routing thing set up like you described. I just did the exact same thing this week, and have it working.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back