Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary Display Just Flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraSmooth

Programmer
Oct 28, 2002
CA
Whenever I try to enable a secondary display on my laptop it detects the monitor but then all it does is flash the desktop and then go black, like it's stuck in this auto-detect loop or something. I have tried multiple monitors and get the same thing. What's even funnier is that it worked the very first time I tried and since then has not worked once. I have updated to the latest drivers available on Nvidia's website and Windows 7 is up to date as well. I have tried using the external monitor as the primary screen, tried duplicating the desktop and just extending. I'm doing all this using the Win+P key method.

My setup is a Dell Vostro 1720 laptop with an Nvidia 9600M GS graphics chip and am running Windows 7 x64.

Anyone have any idea?

Have you tried the laptop's actual output keys?
Most laptops have a key combination, usually a function key (fn) + another key (in my case F5) that enables the output to the monitor or projector.

Failing that, have you tried enabling the second monitor from within the Nvidia control panel?

Right click on an the desktop, select Screen Resolution->Advanced Settings.

Click on the Nvidia Tab there, and then on Nvidia Control Panel, then 'Set Up Multiple Displays' on the left hand tree menu.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi Phil, thanks for your response.

My laptop has a FN+F5 to enable dual display. This just mimics the Win+P button function. I have also tried enabling it from nvidia control panel as well as through the windows control panel.

I have also tried completely removing and reinstall the nvidia drivers.

I contacted Dell through their online support and they have scheduled a motherboard replacement for tomorrow. I thought this was a little extreme, in my mind I feel it's a driver/x64 issue. In any case I'll have a new motherboard tomorrow so I'll post back with the results of that.

Thanks,
Rob

Just a quick update on my laptop. The technician replaced the motherboard this morning and that corrected the problem. Looks like it was hardware after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back