Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second try: Jobs in VB? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer

Programmer
Jun 23, 2000
US
I tried this yesterday, evidently on the wrong forum:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I am a former programmer(Basic, Cobol), now self-studying VB. I love it and am picking it up quickly. Although I eventually want to be an MCSD, I would like to be able to get work as a VB programmer as soon as possible, before going through the whole MCSD learning and testing process. However, I have been out of the loop for so long, I don't even know what jobs, if any, are available. At this point, I would probably be considered entry-level, although I was a pretty good programmer in my time.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Can anyone help me with advice about what is available, and how to get involved? Thanks -- Jerry

you can use VB as part of your MCSD , Visual basic will serve as a very beneficial role in colaboration with another language, for example, using VB to write the ActiveX with Web Programming, or using VB to make the front end for a VC++ dlls, so forth. But also known quite a few people who get by with just VB. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

YOu are a former cobol programmer? Well when you get VB down well enough you should be able to find a niche for yourself converting cobol code to vb. There are quite a few companies out there that are looking for people with knowledge of cobol. I can't think of any off the top of my head but I am sure you could find them. I think most of the companies are large financial institutions and goverenment, businesses that had a strong need for computers early on in their development.<br><br><br>Good Luck,<br> <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

hi, the company i work for have a <i>good</i> strong cobol application and <font color=purple>one</font> of my main tasks is to develop a vb font end for it. i have no knowledge of cobol whatsoever <i>and am conciously avoiding the need for</i> but the cobol programmers here are having to learn VB along-side developing the cobol app, so there is obviously a need for the dual skill element.<br><br>in my studies i have come across many examples of organisations that see the need to employ <i>dare i say</i> windows environments to deploy their otherwise strong applications on - for the sake of the users.<br><br>because of the size and criticality of many 'legacy' systems cobol is not on its way out for a long time and i would suggest that VB will be used to run alongside such applications for some time too.<br><br>cheers, m

I might recomend Brainbench.com just to play with, they offer free certifications online, I like to use them to see where I stand (you can see my public transcript in my signature) they're exams seems pretty straight to the topic. Nice thing is they send you a certificate if you pass any of them (I got 5 , 4 of which in the mail) and they claim their certs are reconized by companies in over 70 countries (of course not big names like microsoft, IBM and other places that would have their own certifications) at least its something I can append to my resume if I wanted to. Just thought you'd wana know, I'm still trying to pass the Vb6 exam(it's timed hehe) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back