Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second Keyboard/mouse not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmsbony

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2001
GB
Not sure if this is the correct location but it seems to fit.

A standard DEll desktop machine we use has a requirement for two keyboards/mice to allow two users on opposite sides of a desk to make use of it without moving.

It is running windows xp and as far as I am aware I should just plug the second devices in and we should be good to go. The two new devices are both USB. The original KB is ps2, and the original mouse is usb.

The new devices plug in fine and the optical light on the mouse is working and the caps lock/num lock/scroll lock keys light up on the second keyboard but neither of them respond. I have tried scanning for new hardware to see if I need to install a second set of drivers but nothing is found. Any advise is welcome.

Do you mean that all three sets of lights light up all the time? If so then you have a fault somewhere with either the keyboard or the controller. Usually the keyboard should only have a maximum of the numlock light on (and thats dependant on how the BIOS is setup as well).

I have in the past put both a PS2 and USB keyboard onto a machine without issue.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back